- This event has passed.
BEING STILL – STILL BEING: Mindsprings Summer Retreat
June 29 - July 6£240
Our annual Mindsprings Summer retreat: The practice of peaceful sitting
For the summer retreat, Alistair Appleton and Kirsty Davidson are guiding the practice of silent sitting, so beloved by so many traditions but so often plagued with obsessive thinking and physical pain.
Drawing on the somatic teachings of Reggie Ray, Alistair will be leading us to find a way to sit within the “field of the body” and let troublesome thoughts float away. In this easy and open way of sitting we can experience a level of stability and peace that many of us find shockingly new and unexpected.
To ease us into this embodied space, Kirsty will be leading us in gentle yoga each morning.
What you can expect on a Mindsprings retreat
Mindsprings retreats follow a general pattern over the week.
- the first few days are for arriving, stilling the mind and relaxing into the wide open field of the body
- we will be in silence most mornings from lights out the night before till lunch time. There will be one full day of silence.
- everyone on the island is used to silence and it’s warm and friendly quiet
- each morning there is the chance to warm up the body with some yoga led by Kirsty
- the teaching and practice runs from 9 in the morning till lunch and again from 4 till soup at 6
- the afternoons from end of lunch till 4pm are free for exploring the island or practising alone
- the evening sessions are for practice, chanting or group experience
- the food is delicious vegetarian – much of it from the island’s organic gardens – most intolerances are catered for
This is the perfect retreat for beginners interested in dropping below their busy minds
This is a course suitable for beginners but also for those of us who have been practicing for many years, but feel stuck in a meditative ‘dead-end’. Working from a simple but profound understand of how the body is our greatest friend and the basis for our practice, the course will develop a sitting practice that can revolutionise our understanding of what ‘meditation’ really is, and lead to a lasting and palpable change in the way we experience the world and how we hold this unique life of ours.
Holy Island is a stunning granite outcrop in Lamlash Bay off the isle of Arran in West Scotland. It’s been a holy site since the times of Celtic Christianity when St. Molaise lived in a cave here. In the last few decades it’s been a place of Buddhist-inspired contemplation. But the World Centre for Peace and Health where this course takes place is open to all faiths or none. It’s a uniquely nurturing place for practice and draws people from all over the world .
You need to book here but then book your accommodation too!
Once you have booked the Mindsprings course below, you will need to book your Holy Island accommodation separately here. You can chose to stay in the room of your liking and stay a little longer on the island if you can…