- This event has passed.
Sitting with the Body – Somatic Seated Practice
March 14 - March 15£60 – £120
Sitting With the Body
Meditation practice usually conjures up images of people bolt-upright in full-lotus with beatific smiles. For many of us coming to meditation as beginners, it’s cramping legs, sore backs, busy minds, and needles-and-pins.
It’s a shame that sitting meditation comes with all these ideas of stillness and perfect poise, because properly inhabited, the sitting body can be a space of enormous joy and fascination. By following the steps of somatic practice – starting with full relaxation and connection to the warmth and support of the Earth – sitting practice is relaxed and open field. Rather than an blank zoned-out space, sitting is full of micro movements, flows of information-rich energy, a growing sense of expansiveness and curiosity about the raw stuff of life.
This weekend at the Spa Road Centre, Bermondsey, is building up this somatic form of sitting. It offers everyone who comes a vibrant and alive form of this simple practice of “just sitting”.
What this workshop on Sitting with the Body will cover:
- basic understanding of how the body’s tension prevents happy meditation
- somatic exercises for relaxing bodily tension and increasing awareness
- simple ways to connect with the earth and bring the support of the ground into our posture
- pain-free sitting and a strong, stable seated posture
- how the posture can wake us up
- working with distractions, thinking and other problems
- resting in the wisdom of the soma
- understanding ‘samatha’ and ‘vipashyna’ practices
What you can expect on a Mindsprings weekend course
- We aim to provide a safe, friendly and tolerant space to explore the benefits of body-based meditation
- There’s a good mix of teaching, experiential practice, and discussion. Talking helps make sure we’ve got it.
- Some practices are done lying down, some sitting up. Weather permitting, we may work outside too.
- Alistair’s training as a therapist is always available for one-on-one support when things arise during practice
- We start at 10am and finish at 5pm each day – with an hour’s break for lunch and some tea/pee breaks
- You’ll receive electronic notes and a recording of the teaching and guided meditation after the course.
- After the weekend, we will try and keep the group together online and with email updates
How to book and financial support
Mindsprings tries to offer good quality instruction at a reasonable cost. We offer a concessionary rate to anyone who is struggling financially, to students and to the unemployed. We never want to turn someone away because they can’t pay. However, the full-price tickets help subsidise these cheaper places, so we ask people to use their discernment when buying a concession.