- This event has passed.
YORKSHIRE TENDER HEART RETREAT
March 27, 2019 - March 31, 2019$95 – $150
Alistair is back in Yorkshire for a 4-day Tender Heart retreat
Following the wonderful weekend course in March 2017, Alistair is back in Yorkshire to lead a 4-day retreat at Londesborough Lodge. This course is looking to ‘tenderise’ our hearts- so that we can work skilfully with our own emotions and – most importantly – with the humans and beings we come into contact with in our life.
A deepening retreat exploring the somatic path of the heart
This Spring week will be a chance for meditators to experience the somatic path of the heart based on the teachings of Alistair’s teacher, Reggie Ray. Exploring the Tibetan practice of tonglen and bodhicitta from a very body-based background, we will be taking our time and using the four days to really connect with the power of embodied practice. The gentle heart practices are central to all forms of Buddhism.
What we are going to be exploring
- We start with a basic understanding of how the body needs to relax in order to communicate with us. We will look at ‘polyvagal tuning’, the practice based on Stephen Porges’ work, which ‘stands down’ all our habitual defences.
- Once we are truely relaxed, we will explore the use of the breath to accentuate and sensitise our awareness.
- Then we can really increase our direct experience of the heart and its blockages and its inherent wisdom
- From this embodied space, we will work with the practice of tonglen. Tonglen is a topsy-turvey practice that transforms our relationship to our experience.
- Finally, we will see how this ‘tender heart’ impacts our relationship with others.
Nuts and bolts
Mindsprings is running the retreat from Wednesday evening at 7pm through to Sunday afternoon at 4. On the four full days, we will be practising from 9am each morning till 5pm but there will be the option of extra sessions of bodywork and sitting practice on either end of the day. The Friday and Saturday will be days of silence or reduced conversation.
We are hoping to organise a block-booking at a local hotel in the course of 2018 – but you are also free to organise your own accommodation in Scarborough.